Announced in March 2009, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 is said to be the competitor of Canon’s PowerShot SX1 IS. Now, let’s get into the details.
The Cyber-shot HX1 has the ability to shoot 9MP images at 10 frames per second. Its high speed mechanical shutter captures each frame without the distortion common with electronic shutters. Its powerful 20x optical zoom G lens ranges from 28mm wide angle to 560mm telephoto. With Sweep Panorama, you can capture wide-angle views that extend beyond human vision – up to 224 degrees. Furthermore, the Cyber-shot HX1 features CMOS sensor that cuts image noise in low-light conditions like dusk or dimly-lit interiors. And there’s another great trick up its sleeve. It shoots High Definition movie clips at 1080/30p resolution.
There’s no option to adjust the JPEG compression, and as such, unsurprisingly no RAW support either. This is an area where the Canon SX1 IS takes the lead with a variety of compression choices, along with a RAW option [for models running the latest firmware]. Panasonic’s FZ28 also offers a RAW mode. And yes, it is equipped with an electronic viewfinder [EVF] as an alternative means of composition. But, it’s small enough compared to the relatively large [but subsequently course-looking] view of the EVF’s in Canon’s SX1 IS.
While the HX1 may not feature RAW file recording, it’s fast and has some really useful features. So, does this combine to make a compelling package that should command your money?
* Recording Media: 11MB internal Flash Memory, optional Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ Media, optional Memory Stick PRO Duoâ„¢ Media
* LCD: 3.0″1 Clear Photo LCD Plus (230,400 pixels)
* Lens Construction: 13 elements in 10 groups (including 1ED glass element and 1aspheric element)
* Microphone/Speaker: Stereo / Mono
* Battery Capacity: Approx. 195 minutes / Approx. 390 images
* Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM H type 6.8V
* 35mm Equivalent: Still shots: 28-560mm / Movie 16:9: 31-620mm / Movie 4:3 :38-760
* Aperture Range: Auto (F2.8-F8.0) / Program Auto (F2.8-F8.0) / Manual (F2.8-F8.0)
* Digital Zoom: Smart Zoom / Precision Digital Zoom / Off
* Exposure Compensation: Plus / Minus 2.0EV, 1 / 3EV step
* Face Detection: Detects up to 8 Faces – with Touch Priority / Auto Priority / Child Priority / Adult Priority
* Focal Length: 5.0-100.0mm
* Focus: 9 points / Center Weighted AF / Flexible Spot / Semi Manual / Manual
* Macro Mode: Macro On/Auto: W: Approx. 1cm (0.03′) to Infinity, T: Approx. 150cm (4.92′) to Infinity
* Optical Zoom: 20x
* Shutter Speed: Auto (2″ – 1/4,000) / Program Auto (1″ – 1/4,000) / Shutter Priority (30″ – 1/4000) / Aperture Priority (8″ – 1/2000) / Manual (30″ – 1/4000)
* Smart ZoomÂ® Technology: 5M: Approx.26x (Total), 3M: Approx. 33x (Total), VGA: Approx.108x (Total), 16:9(2M):Approx.36x (Total)
* Total Zoom: Approx. 40x
Inputs and Outputs
* Accessory Terminal: Multi connector
* Audio/Video Output(s): Yes via Multi-Use Connector
* HD Output: Yes (1080i)
* USB Port(s): Yes – USB2.0 Hi-Speed
Price: $407.95 – $503.99 – can be purchased at Amazon.com.
Canon EOS 70D Body Digital SLR...
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Digital SL...
Canon EOS M10 Mirrorless Digit...
Canon EOS 7D Mark II 20.2MP Di...